7-AAD is a fluorescent DNA binding dye that is membrane impermeant and therefore generally excluded from live cells and early apoptotic cells, but stains necrotic and late apoptotic cells with compromised membrane integrity.
- Selective detection of dead cells by flow cytometry in the PE-Cy®5/PerCP channel
- Perform cell cycle profiling by flow cytometry in fixed/permeabilized cells
- λEx/λEm (with DNA) = 546/647 nm (7-AAD can also be excited by the 488 or 532 laser lines)
- Orange red solid soluble in DMF or DMSO
- Store at -20°C and protect from light, especially in solution
- MW: 1270.45
- 7-AAD bound to DNA has a large Stokes shift with excitation/emission at 546/647 nm. The dye can be excited with either the 488 nm or 532 nm laser lines, and detected in the PE-Cy®5/PerCP flow cytometry channel. 7-AAD is widely used for live/dead cell discrimination.
- It also can be used in fixed and permeabilized cells for cell cycle profiling by DNA content analysis using flow cytometry. 7-AAD intercalates selectively at GC-rich regions of DNA, making it dye useful for chromosome banding studies. We offer 7-AAD as a solid powder (catalog no. 40037) or as a solution in 1 mg/mL DMSO:Water (1:1)
- DMF: 20 mg/ml
- DMSO: 5 mg/ml
- Ethanol: 20 mg/ml